Straiton Trails

Walks starting in Straiton village from peaceful waymarked trails beside the river to energetic blasts straight up the hill, to wild walking in the remote glens of the Galloway forest.

  • The Monument and Bennan Circuit 7 km / 4.5 miles

  • Lady Hunter Blair’s Walk 4 km / 2.5 miles

  • Straiton Village Ramble 2 km / 1.25 miles

  • The Hill Wood Walk 5 km / 3.25 miles

  • The Church Walk 2km / 1.25 miles

South Ayrshire Council developed, promotes and maintains the paths network centred on Straiton.

Walking Trails

The monument on Graigengower from Straiton village Photo: CLIVE DRUMMOND

The Monument and Bennan Circuit 7 km / 4.5 miles

A steep climb to the summit of Craigengower (the Hill of Goats in Gaelic) and the obelisk. This is a monument to Lieutenant-Colonel James Hunter Blair of the Scots Fusilier Guards who died in 1854 at the Battle of Inkerman fought during the Crimean War. Panoramic views all the way to Argyll from the top. Return via Bennan Wood with optional short climb to viewpoint on Bennan Hill.

More information on Straiton Trails leaflet, Gillian’s Walks and Walkhighlands.

One of the many waterfalls in Lambdoughty Glen on Lady Hunter Blair’s Walk Photo: CLIVE DRUMMOND

Lady Hunter Blair’s Walk 4 km / 2.5 miles

Update 05-Dec-2018 The footbridge at the bottom of the valley has been repaired – more info here.

Lovely series of waterfalls in a wooded valley. One of the favourite walks of the wife of the former laird of Blairquhan Castle, this easily achievable circular walk up Lambdoughty Glen features waterfalls, a variety of labelled native and non-native trees, and carved sculptures of local woodland wildlife, with the opportunity to admire some of the architecture of the village of Straiton. This walk can easily be combined with others such as Church Walk for those keen to walk further.

More information on Straiton Trails leaflet, Gillian’s Walks and Walkhighlands.

Straiton Trails car park at the village

Straiton Village Ramble 2 km / 1.25 miles

An easy walk through the village and around by the river Girvan.

More information on Straiton Trails leaflet.

On the Hill Wood walk looking towards Straiton village Photo: GILLIAN CRAIG / GILLIAN’S WALKS

The Hill Wood Walk 5 km / 3.25 miles

Farm and forest, and superb views back up the Straiton valley towards the Galloway hills. Can be extended by walking back through the Blairquhan estate.

More information on Straiton Trails leaflet and Gillian’s Walks.

The Church Walk where it enters Blairquhan Castle estate

The Church Walk 2km / 1.25 miles

This gentle, sheltered stroll heads north from Straiton on well maintained paths and quiet lanes, crossing a historic bridge onto an idyllic woodland walk along the east bank of the river, passing mill lades and languid pools, across a final field to return to the car park.

More information on Straiton Trails leaflet.


Car park next to kid's playground off B7045 Kirkmichael Road, KA19 7ND

Refreshments Great news for locals, walkers and cyclists: Café The Buck serving coffee, teas and home baking will reopen Thursday 29th April 2021. Initially open Thu - Sun, then summer season open Wed - Sun (most likely from June). Updates on Facebook. Located at 32 Main Street, Straiton KA19 7NF

Alternatively, coffee and cold food is available at Straiton Stores, 42 Main St, KA19 7NF

Picnic benches next to playground off B7045 Kirkmichael Road, KA19 7ND

Public toilets behind McCandlish Hall, Main St, Straiton, Maybole KA19 7NF

About the area


Historical records for Straiton have been traced back to at least the 13th century, but many of the buildings you see today, and the way the village is now laid out, date from the late 18th century. Thomas Kennedy, Earl of Cassilis, was largely responsible for Straiton’s design and development as a model village, with stone cottages either side of a wide main street leading up to a war memorial at the southern end. Straiton’s more recent architectural accolades include an architectural design award by the Association for the Protection of Rural Scotland for Fowler’s Croft Development, which this walk leads past.

Lambdoughty Glen

The cascading waterfalls and crystal clear burn rushing down through Lambdoughty Glen are only one of the attractions of the path through this steep-sided gorge. Beneath the dappled shade along the banks of the burn, primroses and bluebells flourish. A rich variety of birds have made this their home, each making the most of different layers of the woodland, from the canopy to shrubs below. Wooden sculptures along the walk depict

some of the other wildlife which thrive here, including otter, fox and owls. If you’re lucky, you may catch a glimpse of roe deer camouflaged between the trees.

Blairquhan Castle

Church Walk takes its name from the days when the residents of Blairquhan Castle and Dower House used to walk to church via the lade built to maintain a steady water flow to the mill.

Four different families have lived at Blairquhan Castle or on its land. The McWhirters built the first tower house around 1346. The Kennedys then inherited the estate through marriage and built the rest of the castle around 1573. The Whiteford family took over in the early 17th century, and prompted by a banking crash, sold to Sir David Hunter Blair in 1798.

Due to fires and neglect, the old house had become ruinous, so in 1820 Sir David commissioned a new Tudor style castle, incorporating some of the surviving mouldings and sculpted masonry from the original building.